See also: Timelines
Planet of the Apes Timeline
|Koba is born in this year.||Rise of the Planet of the Apes|
- January: William Broyles Jr. submits a story outline set on the fictional planet "Aschlar", entitled 'The Visitor' and billed as "episode one in the Chronicles of Aschlar".
- February: Tim Burton is chosen as director.
- May: Stan Winston is replaced by makeup wizard Rick Baker.
- June: Mark Wahlberg is signed as the lead for a two-movie deal.
- July 26: Director Don Weis passes away in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Weis directed two episodes of the Planet of the Apes TV series - "Escape from Tomorrow" and "The Good Seeds".
- July: Tim Roth agrees to play the part of Thade, the aggressive Chimpanzee general. Also joining the cast are Estella Warren who plays Daena, Nils Allen Stewart, Paul Giamatti as the Orangutan slave trader Limbo and Michael Clarke Duncan as the fierce Gorilla colonel Attar.
- August 14: Actor John Milford passes away. Milford featured in the Planet of the Apes television series episodes "The Trap", as Miller, and "The Deception", as Sestus.
- August: William Broyles Jr. quits the project over budget-related script changes.
- October: Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal begin rewriting William Broyles' script. The title of the production changes from The Visitor back to Planet of the Apes. Camera tests get under way in Sun Valley, California. Scenery painter Paul Trachtenberg falls to his death working on the production.
- November: Linda Harrison announces she will have a small cameo role. Glenn Shadix, Lisa Marie, Helena Bonham Carter and David Warner attend 'Ape School' movement training classes organized by Charlie Croughwell, Terry Notary and John Alexander.
- November 6: Filming for Planet of the Apes begins at Independence Bay, Lake Powell, near the small desert town of Page, Arizona, where parts of the original film were shot.