See also: Timelines
Planet of the Apes Timeline
|No information available yet. Please add relevant Planet of the Apes story timeline information that corresponds to the year 1964 here.||Add source of information here (preferably an internal or external link)|
- January: Xan Fielding's translation of Pierre Boulle's La Planète des singes is published by 'Secker & Warburg' of London, UK, under the title Monkey Planet.
- Director Blake Edwards joins producer Arthur P. Jacobs in efforts to produce a movie adaptation of the novel.
- Blake Edwards asks Rod Serling to resume work on a script treatment, disregarding budgetary constraints.
- February: Warner Bros. agrees to begin production on the movie in late January of 1965.
- April: Serling is reporting jointly to Blake Edwards and Arthur P. Jacobs. Script revisions are submitted regularly until March 1965, featuring astronauts John Thomas, William Dodge and Paul LaFever in place of the French originals.
- April 20: Actor Andy Serkis is born. Serkis played the role of Caesar in the 2011 movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
- May 22: Serling submits a script which includes the discovery of a reel of film bearing the legend: "Filmed with the Co-operation of the United States Air Force" - setting the movie on a future Earth, rather than the alien world originally envisioned. By December, Serling replaces the reel of film idea with the iconic Statue of Liberty ending, and also adds a fourth male astronaut named Blake, who dies en route.