See also: Timelines.
Planet of the Apes Timeline
|No information available yet. Please add relevant Planet of the Apes story timeline information that corresponds to the year 1963 here.||Add source of information here (preferably an internal or external link)|
- January 8: Printing is completed by publisher 'René Julliard' in Paris, France on the first edition of Pierre Boulle's satirical novel La Planète des singes.
- June: The first English-language version of Boulle's book is published by 'Vanguard Press' of New York, USA, from a translation by Xan Fielding.
- King Brothers Productions begins development of a movie based on the book, employing Rod Serling to write a script treatment. Serling leaves the project because of the budget suggested by King Brothers.
- Producer Arthur P. Jacobs and British director J. Lee Thompson enter partnership to pitch the concept to movie studios.
- December 24: 20th Century Fox head of production Richard D. Zanuck reviews a budget proposal for the picture and decides that it is too expensive. J. Lee Thompson leaves the project.